New Students Welcome Page
IMPORTANT: You are responsible for the material contained on this page.
You are required to follow these steps in order to access School of Engineering resources.
The School of Engineering is providing you with additional accounts because you are either a registered major/minor in one of our programs or are taking a class provided by the School of Engineering. You are receiving two new accounts, an Active Directory (AD) account and a Google Apps for Education account. With the AD account, you may access our servers, lab computers and other ENGR infrastructure resources. The Google Apps account provides you an additional email account, access to shared websites, documents, significant cloud storage and more.
The explanation of these accounts can be found HERE!
PLEASE NOTE: All usage of School of Engineering resources must be in compliance with the University’s usage policies as outlined in the Swataney. Access to the resources provided by the School of Engineering is a privilege which can be revoked. Inappropriate use, depending on its severity, may result in any of the following: loss of privileges, suspension, expulsion, and/or criminal charges.
Initial passwords are no longer provided to the students. You must follow the directions below in order to access your new accounts.
Invalid User ID
- To set your password for your AD account, please follow the process on the Password Reset Request Page. You will need access to your SHIP.EDU email to complete the process.
When changing/setting your password, remember that we require a minimum password length of twelve characters and three of the four character types must be represented: upper case, lower case, number, special character. If you attempt to use part of your Given Name, your User ID, or a previous password, the password reset process will fail.
To access your GSuite account, it is slightly more complicated as we enforce multi-factor authentication (MFA) for our sponsored accounts.
- First, you will need to initiate a temporary MFA bypass
- Then you follow the password recovery method outlined below:
- Head to the Gmail sign-in page, enter your email address and click Next
- Click the “Forgot Password” link.
- Enter your SHIP.EDU email as your recovery method.
- Click Send to have a verification code sent to your SHIP.EDU email
- Enter the Code you were sent and follow the instructions to create a new password
- IMPORTANT: The following link will only work once, any future MFA bypasses will need to use the standard request utility!
- Make sure you are not already logged into another GMail account before you start or the redirect will not work properly.
- Once you have initiated the process, you will have one hour to initiate a password reset and login to your account.
- Once logged in, you will be prompted to to setup your MFA preferences.
Invalid User ID
If you have any issues, questions or concerns, please check out the School of Engineering website (https://web.engr.ship.edu) for information regarding additional resources available to you, information on how to access School of Engineering resources, finding useful software, and so much more.